Simulator Team Leader
Ansett Aviation Training, a global provider of pilot training solutions and full flight simulator training center operator with training center locations in Australia, Italy, the United Arab Emirates and Taiwan, is looking to hire a Simulator Team Leader for its new training center in the United Arab Emirates.
The Simulator Team Leader manages a team of simulator technicians responsible for operating and maintaining fully serviced flight simulators for use by AAT’s customers. The Team Leader plans and allocates resources and tasks to achieve optimum levels of simulator serviceability, shift productivity and cost efficiency. The incumbent also plays a key role in planning and overseeing the simulator compliance testing schedule.
The Simulator Team Leader reports directly to the Manager Simulator Operations.
The Simulator Team Leader manages a team of simulator technicians.
Financial and other delegations/authorities:
The Team Leader endorses leave applications from team members.
- Manage a team of technicians to provide fully serviceable flight simulators, including:
- Determining day-to-day work priorities and delegating operational and maintenance tasks appropriately.
- Ensuring scheduled maintenance occurs, according to agreed timeframes and schedules.
- Working with the Manager, Simulator Operations and their wider leadership team to plan resource requirements to ensure the required staffing numbers and skill types are available to deliver high- quality services.
- Undertaking more complex operational and maintenance tasks.
- Provide team leadership, including:
- Coaching and mentoring team members.
- Working with team members to identify and address training & development needs.
- Providing performance coaching and feedback.
- Facilitating effective flow of communication amongst team members and the Simulator Maintenance leadership team.
- Fostering a commitment to high quality customer service.
- Oversee the delivery of a schedule of simulator compliance testing to meet regulatory and company standards and operational requirements, including:
- Working with the Manager Simulator Operations & their wider leadership team to coordinate the testing schedule.
- Coordinating the conduct of Qualification Test Guide validation checks of assigned simulators (as required by regulators), ensuring test results are accurately analysed, discrepancies are reported and resources/tasks are allocated to rectify any issues identified through these testing processes.
- Provide high-level assistance towards simulator upgrade projects, including preparing documentation, liaising with contractors, carrying out and/or overseeing assigned project tasks and assisting team members in becoming familiar with any changes flowing from upgrades.
- Participate in aircraft system Acceptance Testing Procedures.
- Facilitate cooperation and work collaboratively with other Team Leaders and their teams to deliver high quality, consistent services to customers and completion of tasks across shifts.
- Initiate, manage and/or contribute to projects, reviews and continuous improvement activities.
- Participate in the Simulator Maintenance leadership team and actively contribute to corporate management responsibilities including strategic planning, resource forecasting, budget preparation/management and reporting activities.
- Provide adequate instruction, information, supervision and training for team members to perform their work in a safe manner, including through induction, developing safe work instructions, arranging training and providing adequate supervision.
Other duties as directed by the Manager Simulator Operations.
- Advanced Diploma of Electronics and Communications Engineering or equivalent qualification and/or training and experience.
- Completion of a team leadership/management course or a commitment to undertake this within the first 12 months of commencing in the role.
- Higher qualifications in one or more of the following (or equivalent): electronics (digital and analogue systems), avionics and/or computer hardware and programming and/or equivalent experience.
Key Skills and Experience Required
Ideally the appointee to this role will have:
- Minimum 5 years experience as a Sim Tech + 5 years experience in a technical leadership role.
- Extensive experience and a proven track record, at a senior level, in the maintenance, development and testing of modern flight simulators.
- Detailed knowledge and experience with real time computer techniques, digital & analogue electronics (including microprocessors), visual systems and simulator maintenance & development hardware & software applications.
- Demonstrated leadership skills, including the ability to lead, motivate & develop team members and plan, prioritise & allocate work to meet objectives.
- Excellent numerical, diagnostic, analytical and problem solving skills.
- Proven project management skills with an ability to coordinate activities through to completion in accordance with agreed standards and timeframes.
- Highly effective communication skills, including the ability to liaise and collaborate at all levels.
- Knowledge of safe work procedures and an ability to operate within, apply and instruct others in adhering to AAT’s safety management framework.
- A demonstrated commitment to maintaining and sharing an up-to-date knowledge of trends and developments in simulator technology.
- A demonstrated interest in the aviation industry is desirable.
Other Job Related Information
Simulator Team Leaders work 12-hour shifts (including nights) on a rotating roster.
Employees at AAT are required to ensure they are aware of and adhere to legislation and company policy relevant to the duties undertaken, including occupational health and safety.